Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Felege Hiywot Center Team

Aster Bekele
Hello! My name is Aster Bekele. I, along with others, run the Felege Hiywot Center. My goal is to promote teamwork through gardening education. The youth will come together to develop gardening
skills, awareness of nature, commitment to environmental preservation, an ability to make nutritious
food choices, and skill in recycling and composting. The beauty we create as a group brings pride to all
residents. I am so excited to meet everyone this summer! God bless!


Kharisa
Hi! My name is Kharisa. This is my first year as a counselor at the Felege Hiywot Center. I will be a
sophomore in high school this upcoming school year. I like to play sports, watch movies, cook, and listen to music.

Alyssa
Hi! My name is Alyssa. This is my first year working at the Felege Hiywot Center. I will be a senior this fall. I love volunteering, reading, and cooking. I am very excited to work with all the counselors and the kids at Felege this summer!

Olivia
Hello, my name is Olivia and this is my first summer working here at the Felege Hiywot Center. Next year,I will be a freshman at Michigan State University studying engineering and dance. I’m so lucky to be working at FHC this year and can’t wait for a great summer.

Jack
I’m Jack, and I’m really excited to be working at the Felege Hiywot Center this summer. I will be a senior in high school next year. In my free time, I like playing sports, hanging out with friends, and spending time with my family. I’m looking forward to a fantastic summer with the kids!

Jenna
Hi! My name is Jenna! This is my sixth year working at the Felege Hiywot Center. I will be a senior in high school next year. In my free time I like spending time with my family, reading, and doing technical theater for community theatres.. I'm very excited to spend another summer at the Center.

Abbie
Hi! My name is Abbie. This is my sixth year working at the Felege Hiywot Center. I will be a senior in high school next year. In my free time, I love to paint set for our high school's plays and musicals. I'm excited to spend another rewarding summer teaching the kids!

Nakiea
Hola, My name is Nakiea! This is my second year working at the Center. But I was also a student here a few years ago. In my free time, I love to play sports and hang out with my friends. I'm curious for what the future holds! This will be a great summer! 

Tay'sha
Hi! My name is Tay'sha. This is my first year working at the Center. I will be a freshmen in high school next year. In my free time, I play softball, and I run track. I'm excited to work with the kids this summer!

Ms.Linda
Hello! My name is Ms. Linda. This is my second year at the Felege Hiywot Center through Community Hospital, as the resident nurse and nutritionist. During the year I am a school nurse and I work at a city high school. I've been a nurse for 25 years and I've loved every minute of it!

Jackie
Bonjour! My name is Jackie! This is my first year working at the Center. I will be a sophomore in high school next year. In my free time, I hang out, and volunteer at a nearby daycare. I'm excited to work at the Center this summer! Au revior! 
Duane
 Welcome! My name is Duane! This is my fourth year working at the Center. I graduated high school this year and will be attending ISU this upcoming semester. In my free time, I play video games, attend the movie theater, and stay fit. I'm looking forward to seeing how the summer turns out!

LaTisha
Hey my name is LaTisha! This is my fourth year working at the Center. I graduated high school this year and  I will be starting at Ivy Tech and then transfer to IUPUI to become a registered nurse. In my free time, I skate, swim, eat, bowling, and I love doing hair! I'm excited to see what this summer holds for me!
Idamarie
Idamarie Collazo is a fundamentally self-driven human rights activist. Much of Idamarie’s training was received from the Latino Youth Collective (LYC), a non-profit organization based in Indianapolis, where she met the majority of her support system and the line of work she has since been passionate about. Since being involved with LYC, she extended her passion for immigration rights into other organizations where she was able to widen her knowledge and leadership skills. United We Dream, a national non-profit immigrant youth led organization. This organization provided her the opportunity to receive training and real life experience in the youth led immigrant movement. In 2010, Idamarie was chosen to visit the Secretary of Homeland Security in Washington, D.C to speak about and support immigration reform. In escalation of the unfair immigrant laws being passed across the country and later being introduced in Indiana, Idamarie and 5 other brave and young undocumented souls were arrested at the Capital building for protesting against 2 unfair bills being proposed. One of the bills stated that undocumented people will have to be pay out of state tuition, granted many of them call Indiana their home and since have had education throughout their childhood. Her passion to strategically fight back grew after that incident. Idamarie was accepted into the Public Allies program where she is receiving training in community building and other leadership skills. She is currently partnered with the Felege Hiywot Center since Fall 2012. She has since developed a real love for teaching at the Indianapolis Public Schools. In her free time, Idamarie spends most of her time in meetings and trainings pertaining to human rights issues. Idamarie believes education (not just institutionally) is the most powerful asset anyone can ever develop as a human being and that is why for her, receiving a college degree is so important

No comments:

Post a Comment